Meet The Team - Josh
Josh Ma - Technical Manager
You are known at 4U for being hard-working and indispensable to your team. What are your responsibilities at the company?
As a member of the technical department, I am responsible for providing technical support for the signing of deals and implementation of projects. This involves three phases: pre-sales, sales and after-sales. Specific work in these phases is shown below:
1) For projects that involve bidding: By reading the bidding documents, raising questions to the customer, assisting salespeople in completing technical bids according to clarification documents (including the technical drawings and quotation list), attend pre-bidding Q&A meetings and clarify technical questions;
2) For projects that do not involve bidding: Obtain project requirements directly from the customer or salespeople. When the requirements are unclear, conduct a survey at the customer's project site. Design drawings and quotation lists based on the information acquired.
The sales phase mainly involves in project implementation. In this phase, my main task is to assist the project manager in deep design of the project we have won, including determining the quantity of subsystem equipment and deep design of construction drawings, such as network point locations, access monitoring point numbers, frame tables, cabinet vertical views, detailed drawings of installation, etc., to ensure the project can becompleted based on the correct construction drawings.
The after-sales phase is the phase after the delivery of the project. In this phase, the main task is to assist the after-sales service department in meeting the customer's renovation requirements, including the site survey (if necessary), design drawings and quotation list.
What was your most challenging case? How did you feel about it after completion?
Currently, I think the most challenging project was the WeWork Weihai Road project.
1) WeWork Weihai Road project was the first WeWork project for us. As there were established standards for all systems of a WeWork project, before design, we needed to study these standards. For the equipment that failed to meet the standards, we had to seek substitutes,which was time-consuming and arduous;
2) As it was our first WeWork project, our design deviated considerably from WeWork's requirements, including the scheme and list price. At the time, our team often went to WeWork's office to discuss the design scheme and list with their IT team, to promote mutual understanding and improve communication;
3) There was a tight schedule for the WeWork project, and the customer kept raising new requirements. So the scheme kept changing. This put a lot of pressure on our team in purchasing and construction, including capital and construction quality.
However, through the team's efforts, the project was completed based on WeWork's requirements, producing the desired results. I think this is the reason why WeWork would choose to continue to work with us. A responsible team, good communication and excellent construction quality are the key factors for us to win the customer's trust. After that, thanks to our experience, we have been able to deliver WeWork's other projects on time.
What motivates you to remain so dedicated and hard-working?
I always believe that one should take responsibility for himself/herself. In both business and pleasure, what dominates one is his/her own ideas. The company provides a platform and a job. My responsibility is to do my best to meet the job requirements and accomplish every task. At the company, I'm not alone. My job is closely linked to my colleagues. I need to make sure the materials that I provided are correct and usable, so that my colleagues can do their jobs with the materials.
What is one way that other Chinese companies might fall short when serving foreign clients in China?
1）The mother tongue is Chinese. So they might face a considerable language barrier when doing business with a foreign company. Bad communication might result ininformation asymmetry, which makes it impossible to complete the project based on the customer's specific requirements. It hurts the effects;
4）Foreign customers do business in a way different from Chinese businesses. If other Chinese companies complete their projects in a style different from theirs, they may be dissatisfied, and the actual effects cannot be achieved.